Soehrman Park Playground Project
- The final pieces of playground equipment were installed
- The poured-in-place surfacing was installed
- Surrounding landscaping was installed
As the month concludes, final grass seeding and blanket was installed and benches will be placed
Other than a few minor finishing touches, this project is complete and we hope you enjoy this new playground. As always, thank you for your patience during construction.
- Additional perimeter concrete was installed
- Layout holes were dug and a majority of the playground equipment was put into place
- Landscaping within the footprint and adjacent to the playground has begun
- We anticipate concrete pouring for playground equipment and ground preparation for poured-in-place surfacing to commence in the first part of June
The splash pad remains open during construction. We urge all visitors to be mindful of their surroundings and stay away from the construction fence and out of the construction zone. Thank you.
- Work continued with the pouring of concrete for playground perimeter (which will contain the poured-in-place surfacing) as well as pads for bench installation
- Playground equipment location staking and layout started. During this process, a minor issue with the layout was discovered. Our design team worked with the playground manufacturer to correct the issue and supply an updated layout to our installer. This caused a slight delay in the timeline and we anticipate work to continue the first week of May.
- No work was performed during February. Weather permitting, work is scheduled to resume on March 1
- No work was performed during January. Commencement of work will be weather dependent moving forward
- Demolition is completed
- Playground area ground preparation has commenced, including excavation and ground staking
- Playground equipment was delivered and stored
- Concrete framing and pouring has begun
- Bid opening was held on November 2 and 5 bids were received. George’s Landscaping Inc was the low-bidder and the park district Board of Commissioners awarded the contract to George’s Landscaping at their November 9 meeting. The contract price was $440,400.
- Construction fence was installed on November 16 and demolition began on November 22.
- Demolition is almost completed.
- Concrete work is scheduled to be finished next and playground equipment is scheduled to arrive the week of December 5.
- The final version of equipment was ordered and renderings are below. Please note: Poured-in-place surfacing design is still being finalized.
- The project was officially out to bid on October 19.
- A preconstruction meeting was held on-site on October 26.
- Bids will be received until November 2 with a planned awarding of contract at the November 9 regular meeting of the Board of Commissioners.
- The playground equipment at Soehrman Park was installed in 2001. As the equipment is nearing the end of its useful life, it is time for a new playground at this park.
- The Pleasant Dale Park District received a $73,000 Move With Us Grant from Burke Playgrounds to be used towards purchase of new equipment. The landscape architecture firm of Planning Resources Inc. was hired to design the new playground.
- The new playground will have 2 areas combined into 1 overall playground. The first area will be tailored to 2-5 year olds with the main attraction being a pirate ship and the area will be nautical themed to match the renovated splashpad that is adjacent to the playground. The other area will cater to 5-12 year olds and the main attraction will be a very tall climbing structure with 2 large slides. Many of the planned features to be installed are ADA accessible. There will even be a little nod to Route 66 in the design. Please see attachment for rendering of planned improvements. Rendering is not final and color scheme has not be finalized.
- Due to the national supply chain and shipping issues, the current plan is to remove the existing playground and have new equipment installed during the fall and into early winter 2022. As the requirement to install poured-in-place rubber surfacing needs warm temperatures, the surfacing and landscaping improvements will not be able to be completed until 2023 as temperature allows.
- We thank you ahead of time for your patience during the upcoming construction and allowing us to improve your park!